Monday 7 October 2013

Halloween Horror films that you need to see.

Top 10 Horror Films.

It's that time of year again, when we all go out and dress up needlessly and get ridiculously drunk, girls dress up in ridiculously kinky outfits and guys live out their ridiculous fantasies, this year I'm going as an Ash'aman from The Wheel of Time series by the way, that's right it's Halloween. With all this dress up and alcohol a ton of people forget about the real fun of Halloween, watching scary ass films that remind you why you fear the dark. Throughout every Halloween, and during the off seasons,I have watched copious amounts of horror films so I decided I would give you guys my Top Ten Horror films of all time, until there are superior ones in the future. God bless Halloween.

No. 10 An American Werewolf in London.(1981)
An American Werewolf in London
An American Werewolf in London


An American Werewolf in London is one of those fantastic 80's films that sticks in your head for so many reasons, the one particular moment for me would be the first transformation scene. Without a doubt one of the most excruciating scenes in not just cinema history but horror history. When our protagonist blows off the belief that he will turn into a murderous werewolf bent on mutilation and destruction the film lulls you into a false sense of security. With the music on in the background not completely drowning out his horrific screams as parts of his body contorts into a form that is clearly not meant for man to assume you get such a horrible feeling in the pit of your stomach that he may not come back from this. The effects were superb, in my opinion the best transformation of human to werewolf in all forms of media it didn't need any CGI just wonderful practical effects. The gore is of a fairly high level, especially with a sarcastic mutilated ghost walking around for eighty per cent of the film and that is why An American Werewolf in London is in my Top Ten Horror films list.


No.09 The Fly(1986)
The Fly
The Fly

When Jeff Goldblum decides he wants to create a teleportation device he doesn't count on a frisky little fly getting all up in his junk. After splicing his DNA accidentally with a fly he becomes a superhuman, for ten minutes, then he becomes the most disgusting piece of garbage I have ever seen in cinema. Why you ask, simple, he pukes all over a dude and tries to eat him. Single scariest and nastiest moment in my young life since when I watched this film I was like twelve years old. For that reason The Fly is in my Top Ten Horror films.


No.08 Evil Dead 2(1987)
Evil Dead 2
Evil Dead 2

One of the funnier films in my list, Evil Dead 2 is one of the grossest, depraved and manic horrors in the history of western horror films. It is a true cult classic, between frightening ballet dancing corpses to angry rape trees, this film has so much wrong with it. This film is disgustingly hilarious, between him fighting against his possessed hand to the mounted trophies laughing at Ash until he cracks and tells them all to shut up. This film is so depraved. I just can't decide whether its horror with a comedy tinge or a comedy with a horror mash up. This why Evil Dead 2 is on the lower end of my Top Ten Horror films list.


No.07 Hellraiser(1987)
Hellraiser
Hellraiser

I'm going to write this one quick because even thinking about this film freaks me out. Right so a bunch of torture demons have a box, humans are inexplicably drawn to it and when they solve it, all Hell breaks loose. The cast is pretty forgettable except for the demons themselves who have so much lore behind each of them it calls out to you to look them up. There is one of the demons who is just so frightening, all he does is chatter his teeth, I don't why, I can't remember his name but that feature of his sticks with me, and that is why Hellraiser is in my Top Ten Horror films list.


No.06 The Sixth Sense.(1999)
Sixth Sense
Sixth Sense

Nothing freaks me out more than ghosts, and M Nigh Shymalan. Combine those two elements together and you have a jump fest cinema experience. Between gross puking ghost girls and a creepy soundtrack, this film had a lot going for it. There was genuine human dialogue and a great story behind it, which fifty per cent of horror films don't have, which added to the tension and the growing sense of alienation in the film. Add the disturbing twist at the end and you have an unorthodox horror but an original one at least. With that I chose The Sixth Sense to be in my Top Ten Horror films list.


No.05 Dawn of The Dead(1978)
Dawn of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead

An oldie but definitely a goodie. This film for a long time defined zombies for me, there was something about the zombies in this film that just disturbed me, right inside me. I could never explain it but there was genuine terror when I watched the zombies limp to the characters, even though they were slow and cumbersome they still achieved their goals which I respect, as much I can respect the undead. It is this reason why I put Dawn of The Dead in my Top Ten Horror films list.


No.04 28 Days Later(2002)
28 Days Later
28 Days Later
It had been awhile since zombies had posed any real threat to humanity, lets face it  after awhile you get bored of the lumbering vacant stares of the undead. Then 2002 hit and Danny  Boyle gave us something to really fear. Not just the rage zombies, I'm talking about humans, the real monsters of the that film. When everything is stripped away, all our comforts and our society, the monsters rear their ugly heads. That's why  28 Days Later is on my Top Ten Horror films list.

No.03 Angel Heart(1987)
Angel Heart
Angel Heart


Angel Heart, a true mind fuck of film. Mickey Rourke at his most charming and the story about a detective trying to find a missing person that eventually leads to some of the most disturbing death scenes I have ever seen in cinema. One includes a chicken, that's all I'll say. Between Robert De Niros creepy egg eating scene and Mickey Rourkes screams at later points of the film there is a lot to be freaked out about in this film. The film is so well written and so disturbing I highly recommend it. I don't want to go into too much detail otherwise I'll ruin your opportunity to see a real original horror film. For that reason I have included Angel Heart in my Top Ten Horror films list.

No.02 Cabin in the Woods(2012)
Cabin in the Woods
Cabin in the Woods


When I got to the last two films I had a hard time deciding which would take the top spot, I went on the decision that I've been going with since the beginning of the article, entertainment value not just horror value. Cabin in the Woods is without a doubt one of the most entertaining horror films of all time but the reason it didn't get the top spot is it is a fantastic comedy that satires all the cliches of horror while giving an intense horror experience. The characters, the monsters and the sheer level of entertainment value is fantastic,but it's not my no.1, that honor is left to a real classic, however it still deserves this spot in my Top Ten Horror films list.

No.01 The Thing(1982)
The Thing.
The Thing.

Frightening, well acted, killer dialogue and incredible effects.The Thing is a triumph of horror films, there is terror that cannot ever be matched in my opinion. Kurt Russell is on form in this film but so are the rest of the cast, there are so many iconic scenes that come to mind, for example there is one scene where a dudes head fell off and then became another monster, that same dudes stomach was also a monster which ate another guys hands, deeply disturbing I know. There is so much going for this film, and here is a little bit of trivia that you'll absolutely love, at the very beginning of the film when the Norwegian sniper is shooting at the husky he tells everyone,in Norwegian, what the dog really is, so basically all Norwegian cinema goers got the film ruined for them in the first ten minutes, and that's why I picked The Thing for my Top Ten Horror films list.


So what are you guys doing for Halloween, what are you dressing up as, comment below, drop me a Tweet or send me on your Top Ten list. Doesn't even have to be about Horrors.

No comments:

Post a Comment